Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Thursday, July 29, 2010

St. Martha Reflection~A gift of love

Funny how the feast of St. Martha finds me feeling just like her, busying myself with the tasks of life and forgetting to take time to sit at the feet of Jesus.
Where is the love?
Thankfully, today was an Adoration day and how perfectly fitting.
Taking an hour to sit with Jesus was just what I needed.
"Weary" and unworthy was how I arrived at the foot of the cross this morning...Mostly weary of my shortcomings.  
Frustrated... I should know better, to be better, about correcting my mistakes.
Disappointed with myself, I sat there, gazing up at Jesus and wondered why I couldn't be more like Mary?
I prayed and I surrendered all to Him, unworthy as I am.
And then I opened my book of prayer and scripture, seeking a lifeline.
Today's morning prayer in the Magnificat began with this little gift of love:
"Well I know your trouble,
O my servant true;
You are very weary~
I was weary too,
But that toil shall make you
Someday all my own~
And the end of sorrow
Shall be near my throne."
So if that wasn't a hug from heaven, I don't know what is!
Grace rained down.
Our loving Lord always answers with the gift of love and grace, just when we need it.
This serves as yet an ongoing reminder to turn to Him when we are low, even when we feel weary and disappointed with ourselves.
I continued reading:
"The Lord is, indeed, extravagant in His love for us, his sometimes most unreliable servants."
Well, this just about summed things up.
Yes, we are unreliable servants.
Yes, we are weary.
Yes, we are human.
But God's love is the constant, less we forget.
Only by His power of grace, love, and mercy can we be liberated from ourselves so that we can open our own hearts to love more deeply.
Afterall, "God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him."~John 4:16~
St. Martha stands now in the great assembly of the just who have been delivered from death to sing His praise for ever.
I think I can only pray to truly be like St. Martha, singing His praises!
St. Martha loved God and He loved her in spite of herself.
~St. Martha, please pray for us!~

These really neat photos were taken by Fernando,one of our Youth Leaders at a recent Youth Campout/Retreat.  The kids used a flashlight to create the design, while the photographer used slow shutter speed.  The first picture is done by my son and the cross by his friend.  I thought they were amazing!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful post.
    So amazing how God is working in my life. Just a few hours ago I was discussing with my daughter my goal and desire to take her and her brother, at different times, with me to Adoration. That way one of them can be at home with the 3 little ones. And then I click on your blog and here is your post and testimony to the beautiful gift of grace we can receive while spending personal time in prayer with Christ. Just reinforcing my strong desire to spend quiet time with Jesus. Our house, as you can relate to, gets quite loud with 5 children. I find that I can't get a quiet enough place here to silently pray. I look forward to my quiet time at Adoration with each of the older two.
    Peace,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts. This one really spoke to me. I too am the Martha, and know Marys, and I find myself praying that I too can become more like Mary, sitting at Christ's feet, reposing in His love. I'm always too busy, too concerned about getting done whatever is at hand that I'm sure has to get done right then. I'm praying for the grace to sit still with Our Lord more often. thanks Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany~ Thank you for this post. You wrote something that really struck me. I, too, had taken my family to Mass and adoration followed, closing it all with reconciliation. Now, I had not intended to go because of her feast day. We attend Mass every Thursday evening with adoration always following. But this particular Thursday, we went to reconciliation. I wonder if that was St. Martha's prayers of intercession reaching out to me. What a beautiful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, Gardenia and Patty~Thank you so much for your neat responses and thoughts! God Bless you and your families:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...