Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Madness, Sprinkled With Roses

Today was a "Monday" alright.  I don't know about other home educators but Monday is almost predictably our toughest day.  I'm not sure what it is but the mood is hardly ever quite right.
It's one of those days when the kids are resistant to each other, to me, to school and to put it politely...  No "perfect" kids or Mom around here!   I always contemplate "skipping" Mondays but then I figure that Tuesdays would become the next "Monday".  Do any of you have this challenge at your house?

At the end of the day, I am still praising God for 3 glorious gifts....

1~ It was a feast day and I  He had some nice things planned, being the feast of St. Rose of Lima.  We ended up having a nice discussion about how we should not be so concerned about what we look like on the outside (like beautiful St. Rose) but we should work on who we are on the inside and the beautification of our soul.  On a morning when I was calling everything into question, God provided, as always.  Just as Mondays are always rough, He is always with us.  And what abundant blessings we receive through the saints as they light our dark and muddy paths, just when we need a glimpse of heaven to keep us going!   Making a wreath of roses with cupcakes, in honor of St. Rose of Lima, was rather cathartic in this sense.  I think it would be safe to say that we had St. Rose Cupcake Therapy today.

2~He gives us treasures through our children.  I was sitting with 3 of the school children having a serious discussion about writing personal narratives.  Calmly and quietly (out of the blue) our angel baby 2-year old walks over to our table from her play area and says "Knock, knock..."  We all stop talking and I reply:  "Who's there?" She responds with "Cargo."  And I say: "Cargo who?"  (Admittedly not expecting her to say anything that made sense) Then she says "Car go beep, beep!"  And she ran off down the hallway making roaring and beeping sounds like a car.  The rest of us laughed one of those deep-belly-good-for-the-soul laughs since everyone swears they never taught her that!  I choose to believe that God knew that we all needed a good laugh in the middle of our Monday Madness.  It was not a coincidence that He used a precious child to deliver His message~a treasure for the day!

3~And finally, He gives us the gift of grace.  I have learned that His gifts of grace come in all shapes and sizes throughout our day.  In this case it came in the form of some extra "quiet" time in the afternoon since all children earned 3 behavior strikes, leading them to private reflection in their rooms!  It also served as a healthy time-out for Mom...Hence my praise for the outcome of our Monday Madness, sprinkled with roses. *wink*
And how appropriate this quote:
"Without the burden of afflictions it is impossible to reach the height of grace.  The gifts of grace increase as the struggles increase."
~St. Rose of Lima~

Here are some photos of our Saint Rose of Lima Cupcake Therapy!
*Be sure to check out Catholic Icing for some beautiful Rose Cupcakes*
Super Boy (1st grader) takes the helm with the frosting...Wild and wooly!
Princess (3rd grader) is very careful and meticulous...
Army Dude (6th grader)..Let's get this thing done!
~Our final wreath of cupcake roses~
Dear St. Rose of Lima, please pray for us!

5 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look delicious! Great idea for the Feast of St Rose. We start school tomorrow and I am anticipating a whole week of "resistance". But you are so right, God does provide - always. Hope your Tuesday goes much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Happy St Rose of Lima day! I always enjoy your feasts celebrations! You are a godly woman Tiffany! Thank you for sharing your insights of your daily life!!

    Also, thank you so much for stoping by at Familia Católica! I appreciate your support!
    many blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful way to celebrate the feast day. Your Monday sounded like my Saturday...Sunday...and Monday. By Monday night, I announced I was off duty. Finding joy in your blog...another blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your three glorious gifts are very worthy! I would especially enjoy the time of reflection!

    I enjoy your quote from St. Rose-the struggles do make everything worth it although it is so hard to know that when you are in the midst of it!

    I ditto Patty-your blog is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany, you have such a flair for making wonderful feast-related baked goods. When I take the time (as you have) to reflect on all the graces of a day, it fills my soul. So I need to do that more often. We have resistance from Flower too. Today, her fourth day of school, she said i don't want to go to school. i suspect I'll be hearing more of that over the next decade. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...