Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Monday, March 7, 2011

Lenten Reflection

I just had to share this reflection that I just received in the mail from my parish mentor/friend:

LENT~ A Season of Fasting and Feasting
"Even now says the Lord, return to me with your whole hearts, with fasting, and weeping and mourning; Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the Lord your God."
~Joel 2:12-13~

Fast from judging others; feast on the Christ dwelling in them.
Fast from emphasis on differences; feast on our oneness.
Fast from the darkness around us; feast on the light of Christ.
Fast from thoughts of illness; feast on the healing power of God.
Fast from the words that pollute; feast on words that purify.
Fast from discontent; feast on gratitude.
Fast from withholding anger; feast on sharing feelings.
Fast from pessimism; feast on optimism.
Fast from worry; feast on trust.
Fast from guilt; feast on freedom.
Fast from complaining; feast on appreciation.
Fast from stress; feast on self-care.
Fast from hostility; feast on letting go.
Fast from bitterness; feast on forgiveness.
Fast from selfishness; feast on compassion for others.
Fast from discouragement; feast on hope.
Fast from apathy; feast on enthusiasm.
Fast from suspicion; feast on seeing the good.
Fast from idle gossip; feast on spreading the good news.
Fast from being so busy; feast on quiet silence.
Fast from problems that overwhelm; feast on prayerful trust.
Fast from talking; feast on listening.
Fast from trying to be in control; feast on letting go.

Try reading it slowly and reflecting on the ones that speak to your heart.
I definitely found my weaknesses jumping out at me!
*I'm posting this on a few of our bathroom mirrors for Lent*

3 comments:

  1. Our church bulletin had this last year...I cut it out and then lost it. So happy that you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful reflection from your parish mentor/friend. I see myself in many of those lines. I think I'll print it off. Also, I lovelove that bible verse. thank you Tiffany for that. I need to read that quote daily. It reminds me of the song we occassionally sing in Church during Lent (although I know the song actually came after the quote!) happy blessed Lent. I love your purple cross in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will be printing and posting.
    thanks for sharing!
    my your time at the foot of the cross, lent, produce blessed fruits.
    pax Christi - lena

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...