Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our Lady of Sorrows

~This was a post from the archives with a helpful link to explain the Seven Sorrows~


~The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows~
I was looking for a teaching tool to help my children understand the Seven Sorrows of Mary.  I found this neat reflection called The Way of Compassion: The Seven Sorrows of Mary at The Passionists website. This website inspired me to make a little booklet that the children can look at and also use to pray and reflect.  (We are using it again this year:) I just loved the colorful pictures that coupled the prayers at the site. The images are just the right size to cut out for a quick project!  To keep it simple, I just used construction paper stapled together.  You could certainly do more!

This is a peek at the first page after a little "cutting and pasting"...
I also cut out the Seven Graces received and pasted those inside the front cover.

You can read more about the Seven Sorrows of Mary at Catholic Culture. 


The Seven Sorrows:
1. The prophecy of Simeon.

2. The flight into Egypt.

3. The loss of the Child Jesus in the temple.

4. The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross.

5. The Crucifixion.

6. The taking down of the Body of Jesus from the Cross.

7. The burial of Jesus.

These are the SEVEN PROMISES/GRACES that God grants to those who honor The Blessed Virgin Mother daily by saying seven Hail Mary's, while contemplating her tears and sorrows during her life. This devotion was passed on to us by St. Bridget.

1. I will grant peace to their families.

2. They will be enlightened about the Divine Mysteries.

3. I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.

4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.

5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.

6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their mother.

7. I have obtained (This Grace) from my Divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.
Some other great resources:
The Seven Dolors Devotion
Great ideas at Catholic Icing!

~I made this little poster to accompany the booklet~

These were easy Seven Sorrows Cookies!
I couldn't resist posting these over at Catholic Cuisine
since I found these packaged heart-shaped Petits Palmiers at Trader Joe's.
Sometimes I really love quick and easy!
~The kids had fun decorating Mary's Immaculate Heart and using 7 toothpicks to learn the 7 sorrows~
These are great for any quick and easy "heart" snack during the year!


Mother of Sorrows Prayer
Father, As Your Son was raised on the cross,
His Mother Mary stood by Him, sharing His
suffering.  May she, who is also our spiritual
Mother and Patroness in Heaven, help us to 
find renewed strength at the cross of Christ
and so come to share in His rising to new life,
where He lives and reigns with You and the
Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. love the craft projects and the treats. great poster too! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, I sometimes think this feast day is hard for the littlest ones to understand because of the word "feast" in it. YOu did a beautiful job on the book and other activities.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...