Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel~Graham Scapulars Anyone?

Hello there, Happy Summer...And Happy
+Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel+
I'm popping in for a few minutes for this special occasion.
July 16th marks a special feast day in the church where we celebrate the gift of a Sacramental...The brown scapular.  It's one of my favorite stories and traditions of the church:) 
These new brown scapulars our children are wearing were hand embroidered by a dear Catholic blogger and tucked inside this year's Easter baskets:) Though not our originals, they are just beautiful treasures and they support Barbara's lovely apostolate!

When talking to our children, we remind them that Sacramentals are not some "good luck charm" to be worn in such fashion, nor do they surround superstitions. 

*Disclaimer* I'm no expert but I do my best to share what I've learned in simple terms. It's how I learn myself and it's how we teach our children. In turn, I've cited as many sources/resources as I can since I know for non-Catholics, these things can be hard to understand. 
Sacramentals are simply holy objects, radiating the Sacraments, approved by the church, that can be used or worn to ask for God's blessings. i.e.) Holy water, statues, rosary beads, etc. They are sacred signs that may bring about greater good and also help put us in right position to receive grace, ALL through prayer. (CCC 1670) In other words, it's nothing short of an honor to wear or handle these things and we should not take them lightly.  For non-Catholics, I once heard that Sacramentals can be equated to wearing wedding rings.  Just as wedding rings are outward signs of fidelity in a marriage, Sacramentals are outward signs of our fidelity to Christ.
More about Sacramentals here.

What I love about the scapular is that it is a simple piece of cloth, coming from a long apron that was slung over the shoulder and worn over the robe of ancient monks. (Scapular is Latin for shoulder) These simple brown aprons were later worn to form the shape of a Cross, symbolizing the wearer's readiness to work and serve God.  I love the photo and further explanation written in this article.  

View from my bedroom corner;)
The story of the brown scapular comes from Our dear Mother Mary.  That awesome Mother that Jesus gave us at the foot of the Cross...One of his final gifts to us before leaving earth. (John 19:26-27)

It is for this reason that we Catholics honor Mary, Mother of God, who bore Him in her womb, through the power of the Holy Spirit.  For in this way, she cooperated with her Son Jesus in the Salvation of the world. Wow.  I remember the first time I learned this.  What if Mary had said No?  Hmmm, No Mary, No Jesus, No Salvation...No gates of heaven opened!  Instead we can know Mary, can know Jesus, can know Salvation. Praise God!  Of course we Catholics do not worship anyone but God, that's right.  But boy, does Mary ever help us out.  Like any good mother, she holds our hand and leads us swiftly to the arms of her Son. Like I tell my kids, she's a "fast pass" to Jesus:) More here.

OH, I almost forgot where I was...Back to the story of the scapular!

Pious legend tells how in the thirteenth century (approximately 1251, the age of Faith) the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared in a vision to a holy Carmelite priest named St. Simon Stock.  She gave him the first brown scapular, a long with this Scapular Promise that became known: "Whoever dies clothed in this garment, will not suffer everlasting fire." (The Catholic Source Book)  Soon, ordinary people wanted to wear the Scapular also.  So a smaller Scapular was made, like the one we have today.  It can be worn (after a vestment ceremony) under one's regular clothes and is considered a badge of devotion. Many children receive this vestment at their First Communion. Read more about the story and get a free scapular here:)  We still must be pleasing to God and this devotion helps strengthen us to do so.
Along with the story it's a good (sneaky) summer history and geography lesson:) I always like to remind my children that the Carmelite order of monks originated from Mount Carmel, a mountain in the Holy Land where the first Carmelite servants of God lived.  
And finally...
An easy snack to celebrate the occasion--
Chocolate Graham Scapulars!
Chocolate graham crackers, spread with marshmallow creme and decorated with colored icing...That's all!
We made a couple of different patterns and shared them over at Catholic Cuisine too:)


Even the mistakes taste good!
O Mary, Queen of all Saints,
Lead me to Your Son Jesus,
my King and Savior,
through your most holy heart!
Amen.
This little booklet is excellent!  
Garment of Grace: The Brown Scapular
Other good sources: Catholic Answers:)

17 comments:

  1. Super cute idea,trying that tonight!
    Great to see you. Hope you're enjoying summer.
    God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Feast Day, Kara! Hope the treats worked out for you:) Thanks for stopping by to say Hi and hope you are having a blessed summer too. I'll be by to visit soon!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the comparison of sacramentals to wedding rings!! And I really like this yummy way to celebrate Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. May it be a happy feast day for your and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Feast of Our Lady, dear Nancy! Thanks for popping in to say hello.

      Delete
  3. Those are so simple, and yet absolutely perfect. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, Hi, how are you? Hope you are having a blessed summer! Happy Feast of Our Lady to you and your family:) I'm slowly working my way back into blogging as we get ready for the new school year next month. I'll be by to bloggy visit very soon!

      Delete
  4. I've missed you! Great post... happy summer! +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annita, I've missed you too! Hope you are having a restful and blessed summer:) I was telling someone today that blogging is like entering the Wardrobe into Narnia for me...I've missed this little world of lovely friends like you! I'm ready to come back soon as we get ready for a regular schooling routine next month. Take care, my friend!

      Delete
  5. YAY! You're back! What a beautiful post, Tiffany. Those look absolutely delicious too. I have missed you and am happy to hear from you again. Stop by if you get a chance :-) Hope you enjoy the rest of July and that it is carefree and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be stopping over for a visit, soon, Ann-Marie:) Praying the rest of your summer is abundantly blessed!

      Delete
  6. That was a beautiful explanation you wrote up, Tiffany! I'll be sure to visit Barbara's site. Great gift idea indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend:) OH yes, Barbara's scapulars are absolute TREASURES! I just LOVE her hand made sweetness:)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! We're going to do this tonight. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was helpful to another sweet family! Thanks for stopping by, Anabelle!

      Delete
  8. I read that one can wear it also without the ceremony and recite one Hail Mary per day (but different promises). This is one is one sacramental that I have been interested in. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Nicole, thanks for sharing! I haven't heard about that but that certainly doesn't mean anything;) lol Our faith is so amazing and full of never-ending learning and that's what I love. I had forgotten to add a little disclaimer at the top of my post but remembered after your comment. Thanks for the reminder! I always hesitate doing informational posts in fear of error...Mostly, I just want to share the joys and blessings of our awesome faith!

      Delete
    2. Tiffany, yes, we will never run out of things to learn a our faith! I saw that info on the free scapular site you linked to. I thought it was good to know that you didn't necessarily have to have a ceremony before starting to wear it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...