Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Catch A Cross

"I believe that love is the measure of our ability to bear crosses, whether great or small."
~St. Teresa of Avila~
It's been a tough week, therefore it's been a triumpant week.  As I struggle through a chronic condition that seems to be a more frequent cross, God's grace brings me to my knees.  Without this cross, I might still be standing, fooled into thinking that I am in control.  But most of us know what the real truth is...We need our crosses to bring us to the foot of our master each and every day because He is the only one who can transform selfish souls to slaves of love.  If we catch a cross, He is there to pull us in tight.  However, failing to grab hold, can very possibly lead to drowning, often in our own self-pity.  In the middle of my struggle it was a God-incidence that a nearby Parish was hosting a Mission Speaker.  Father Larry Richards conducted their Mission for 4 nights this past week.  I was able to attend 2 nights and it was nothing short of a pampering in the arms of Jesus!  Inspiration is waiting if you have a chance to visit his website and take a listen.  After this week's mission I am renewed with hope, despite crosses beared.  Even though we may know better than to whine about our sufferings, isn't it a joy that Jesus loves us anyway?  How quickly we forget WHO is at the other end of our crosses, no matter the size... Like a life preserver,  He is always there; This is the beauty of the Cross that we must catch to live.

~This was a brief summary of Fr. Larry's talk~
3 Ways To Be Disciples of Jesus For Life:
1.  Sit at the feet of the Master (Christ) every day...Pray!
2.  Develop an attitude or mind of the Master...Our attitude must be that of Christ.
In doing this, we must give our lives away each day.  We can do this by doing at least one unselfish act for others each day and develop an attitude that "I Am 3rd."
     I Am 3rd!
  1. God
     2. Others
      3. Self last
3.  Be transformed into the Master by living a life that is no longer our own...We need to truly love.  Can people look at us and say: "If Jesus is anything like you, I can't wait to meet him!"?

This prayer was handed out the last night and encouraged to be part of our daily prayers...Great memory work for the summer!
Prayer to the Holy Spirit
By Joseph Cardinal Mercier
Oh, Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore you.
Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me.
Tell me what I should do; give me Your orders.
I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me and to accept all that You permit to happen to me.
Let me only know Your will.
Amen.

A favorite prayer for carrying your cross...
O my God, I thank you for this cross you have allowed me to carry.  Please give me the strength and faith to persevere so that I may bring glory to your name while withstanding the burden of its weight.  Thank you for offering me a share in your suffering.  I know that you have always been, are now, and ever will be, at my side every step of the way.  Than you also for every "Simon" that you have sent to help me bear this cross.  I have prayed so often that this thorn in my flesh be removed, but I trust that your grace is sufficient.  Change my heart's troubled cry of--"How long, O Lord?", into words of trust: "However long, O Lord." May I seek only to do your will and to unite my sufferings with your passion. Help me not to get lost in my own self concerns, but may I find in these trials a way to greater virtue, a call to prayer and a path to trust in you alone.  Permit me not to waste my pain, but to make of these struggles a sacrificial offering for others.  Lord, when I am weary and I fall, exhausted under the weight of this cross, please give me the courage to press on as you did.  Lord, Jesus, I embrace with love my cross, as a share in our own.  By your grace, may I carry it all the way to the vision of your glory.  I abandon  myself totally to your will.  Christ Jesus, I trust in you.  Amen.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I wept through this whole post, call it hormones, but it's been a tough week for this old mama!!

    I love what you wrote and how blessed you were to hear Fr Richards, wow!

    I'll pray for whatever your cross has been.

    I pray that first prayer to the Holy Spirit every day, it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffany, I love the prayer for carrying our crosses! Especially the part about "changing my heart's troubled cry." Very moving indeed and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I hope the Lord gives you a Simon of Cyrene to help you carry your cross. Thinking of you....

    God bless,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, thank you for sharing that prayer. It is one that will rightfully takes it place near my bedside or prayer table. I will keep you in my prayers as you carry your cross. I like what Allison had said and pray that as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting these prayers! Very timely for me and I will be praying for you. I particularly liked "change my hearts troubled cry of "how long, O Lord" into words of trust, "however long ,O Lord" beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fr. Larry Richards is amazing! I heard him speak last winter. You are blessed! I will pray for you and your cross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your humility and faithfulness is a beautiful witness. may you be given the graces to joyfully embrace your cross and continue to lead others to do the same.

    Our Lady of Bethlehem, pray for us.

    Pax Christi - lena

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the prayers. i will have to check out Father's website for inspiration and encouragement and consolation. We are closest to Our Lord when we carry our cross, and embracing our cross with joy and acceptance is the only way to live. God bless you! thanks for sharing. --Gardenia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...