Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Turning 50 With The Dream Team

I'm not a perfect person but I am a real one...Fabulous at 50?  Definitely not. I have to be honest and say that I've been dreading turning 50 in the middle of my family tragedy.  It's next week for goodness sakes...Couldn't this come at a different time?  A happy time?  It doesn't seem fair, as I pound my fist on the table!  At this landmark time that others celebrate with joy, I'm filled with sorrow and endings...I'm seriously tempted to believe the lie that life is completely awful when we suffer. 

Suffering is awful, yes it certainly is.  But completely awful...No.  Being real, I have to admit that suffering is beautiful at the same time.  Many lovely people emerge to help, God shows his face, just when we need it most...I may not have seen God's face otherwise. Clinging to what is good in my life, I see light in the darkness.

During Adoration one day, I felt that I saw joy and pain sitting together arguing about who would make the soul better, stronger, wiser.  Suddenly, they realized that they were not opposing forces after all. Instead, they both offered strength and wisdom in different ways that all humans need for their salvation.  It became apparent that we cannot have one without the other.  Joy and pain are synonymous.  Separated from one of these, we are broken. Having both together, we are strong.  Encompassed in this is the Cross that Christ suffered and bore for us.  He loved us so much that he suffered.  There on the Cross we see the ultimate dream team.. joy and pain unite for the good of humanity. Knowing we cannot have one without the other helped me see clearly how I should journey ahead...


Turning 50 with The Dream Team

I am turning 50 with sorrow and grief...
Yet, I turn 50 with gratitude and grace.

I am turning 50 with wounds and scars...
Yet, I turn 50 with growth and wisdom.

I am turning 50 with disappointments and mystery...
Yet, I turn 50 with triumphs and faith.

I am turning 50 with tears that never end...
Yet, I turn 50 with laughter that is stronger.

I am turning 50 with the reality of aging...
Yet, I turn 50 as a child of God.

I am turning 50 with heavy burdens...
Yet, I turn 50 with song in my heart.

I am turning 50 with the down-swing of life...
Yet, I turn 50 with a life well-lived.

I am turning 50 with the end in mind...
Yet, I turn 50 with the hope of life that never ends.

I am turning 50 marking time in my mind...
Yet, I turn 50 with a warrior spirit.

I am turning 50 with trial and trepidation...
Yet, I turn 50 with trust in God's plan.

I am turning 50 being stripped of my dreams...
Yet, I turn 50 with strength in my soul.

I turn 50 with time gone too fast...
Yet, I turn 50 with blessings, too many to count.

I turn 50 with the setting of the sun...
Yet, I turn 50 when the new dawn comes.

I turn 50 with lost love in my life...
Yet, I turn 50 with a lot of love left to give.

I turn 50 with joy and pain...
Yet, I turn 50 sitting with the Dream Team.


6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, young lady --- wise lady. Thank you for these reflections, of a life well-lived, and one just beginning. Do not be anxious.

    I think you might like the book I read this week, and just posted a review. I found it to be a book of great hope. If you'll email me a mailing address, I'd love send you a copy for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Tiffany! May God bless you. Such a thoughtful post. (Some day you need to write a book... you have a true gift with words.) I continue to pray for you every week at Mass. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a joyful and grace-filled birthday...and welcome to the 50's club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the sweet birthday wishes! I was blessed with lots of love:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...