Listen to God's voice at the foot of the crucifix." ~St. Gaspar del Bufaro~

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

These Boots Are Made for Walkin

~This post is written in honor of All Saints and All Souls~

We just got done cleaning our garage this week!
I went through some old boxes and found these Army combat (jump) boots from my late husband, Chris...They were the last ones he wore before his tragic death and were specially shined for his funeral.  
As I uncovered the paper, I couldn't believe they were still this shiny.  I could see my reflection for goodness sakes...And it's been 17 years!  I just found that really amazing.  It brought a smile to my face.
For a slight (human) second, I got that pit of sadness deep in my gut.
Then I remembered all the paths these boots had paved, carrying a soul that loved people...Then I smiled again.
After all, it's not the boots that we wear or the badges that we earn that really matter.  We certainly don't take them with us when we leave this earth.  
It's all about the life that we live and how we touch the lives of others while we walk in our own boots.  How do we walk with others well?

I thought about this today after Fr. M's. homily.  He challenged us not to worry about tomorrow or even yesterday, for that matter.  The challenge is to stay focused on TODAY.  
How can we live this day as well as possible?  
The answer is easy, Fr. M reassured us...One step at a time, one foot in front of the other, day after day.
Suddenly, I was reminded of the boots.
These boots are made for walkin.  
{Even if you are like me,  picking myself up "by my boot straps" every day!}
 The path to heaven is a steady one, lest we get discouraged. 
As people of faith, we keep on walking...We persevere, we stay faithful, despite our imperfections and ugly mistakes...
 We aim to walk with others well, striding to live today as well as possible.

May all of the Saints in heaven cheer for us as we cross the finish line, someday leaving our boots behind for others to admire their shine:)

4 comments:

  1. Tiffany,

    What a wonderful and inspiring post! I'm glad that your sadness only lasted a second before you returned to the joy of happy thoughts about that holy soul who was transported in those boots on earth. You are both blessed and a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, what a lovely and heartwarming post, and truly inspiring. The path to sainthood is truly an arduopus path, but do-able with the grace of God and steady perseverance. How wonderful that you have your husband's boots and uniform to take out from time to time and as a reminder of the path to sainthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I can only imagine how your heart skipped a beat when you found those. I think it was a God moment since He allowed the homily to fit in step with your find. Peace and prayers to you always...and for tomorrow as well, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Tiffany,
    I just read about your late husband's tragic death and then read this post. What a gift to find these treasures and have your priest's homily relate to your gift! What a blessed All Saints/All Souls Day! May God continue to bless you abundantly! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...